4. PHP MySQL Bridge Connection Settings
fmPreferences - fmBridgeConnection
Bridge is just another way to connect to your database. Usually, the program uses direct MySQL connection to remote database installed at website or some other web server. In some cases this type of connection does not work - your hosting provider may not allow direct connections or your LAN settings/firewall prevent connection from being established. Bridge allows you to work with remote database without direct MySQL connection established.
While working through bridge you must store your temporary data somewhere in local database. Bridge is used only for two major operations - getting data from remote database and posting data to that database. You have to understand the difference between bridge connection and MySQL connection. Bridge is not a connection itself, actually it is just a way to transfer files between remote and local machine.
To configure PHP MySQL Bridge Connection, follow a few steps listed below:
1. Download the latest version of PHP MySQL Bridge here (recommended) or open main directory of your application - usually it is "C:\Program Files\eMagicOne \Store Manager for ... " and find directory "Service" there. Inside this directory you will find bridge.php file.
2. Important. Edit bridge.php file - change default user name (default username is 1) and password (default password is 1) to keep your store protected.
Open bridge.php file (you can open it using NotePad or WordPad) and find the following lines there:
$username = "1";
$password = "1";
Put your own values instead of "1" in both lines. Also here you can find how you can make Bridge connection more secure.
You may keep all the other settings "as they are", unless any errors occurred.
3. Copy bridge to your online store root (catalog) directory. Bridge should be accessible as http://www.myonlinestore.com/bridge.php, where http://www.myonlinestore.com is the URL of your store.
Tip: Also it is recommended to run Bridge.php Self Test. Using it you will have the possibility to check your website and make sure, that there are no problems with your hosting configuration. If some problems are found, your hosting support will be able to solve them.
4. Open Store Manager -> Tools -> Preferences and enable PHP MySQL bridge connection check-box.
5. Specify the following PHP MySQL Bridge and Local Database Connection Settings:
- Database Name - Specify local database name (type name manually) or select one from the drop-down list using browse button .
Tip: Use Test Connection button to verify if all settings are correct.
Note that it is not your live store database, it is your local database used to work with your data locally. In order to see your live store data you need to Get Data from Web either using Tools -> Database Bridge -> Get Data from Web or use the corresponding Action.
Wait while data are transfered. Depending on database size and connection speed, it may take from a few seconds to several hours (large database + slow connection). Follow a few steps of Backup/Restore wizard. Now you may work with your store - add/modify products, categories, import products etc.
It is important to post all changes you have made to your online store. Select Main Menu -> Tools -> Database Bridge -> Post Changes to Web or use the corresponding Action. This action will post all the commands stored in Pending Bridge Data section to bridge.php installed on your store. When Bridge receives the file, it will execute all the commands one by one in that order in which they were stored/made. After all the commands executed successfully, your remote store will reflect all changes that you have made locally.
Also you can Clear all Changes. Tthis action will clear all commands, but pay attention that you won't be able to undo it.
Note: If you wish to create new local database you can type its name manually and use test connection button. You'll see the notification that local database with specified name does not exist and Store Manager may ask you to create one.
Note: Local database and your store database are two different databases and their names may be either different or the same. It's up to you to decide, since database name won't affect in any way connection settings.
Tip: Use Bridge.php Self Test Tool to check your website and to make sure that there are no problems in your hosting configuration. Your hosting support can solve all problems found there.
6. Click Ok to save this entry, close Preferences and connect to your database, or click cancel to discard this entry.
Also you can use Database Connection Wizard to setup your connection or make Database backup/Restore selecting the corresponding actions from the drop-down.
Please see our troubleshooter at http://support.emagicone.com/ under Troubleshooter >> Configure Database Connection to get a step-by-step assistance.
6. Click OK to save changes and close preferences. Now you have to retrieve the data from your web store into your local database.
7. In main application window select Main Menu->Tools->Database Bridge->Get Data from Web.
8. Check whether all the changes you've made were reflected in web store properly.
If you have difficulties with "tmp" folder please check this article for help.
Note: It is strongly recommended to create database backup before any mass operation.